Today’s Reverb10 prompt comes from Jenny Blake of LifeAfterCollege.org (check out her book!). I will actually be interviewing Jenny for my other blog (Social Good Today), so be on the lookout for that too! Here’s the prompt: “Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)”
It took me a while, but then it came to me in a flash. Here are the 6 things that I would tell myself to do every single day, because then everything else will work out for itself:
1) Exercise every day for at least 10 minutes. Yes, more would be great, but a minimum of 10 minutes every single day.
2) Eat one piece of fruit and one serving of vegetables every day. Obviously more is better, but that’s the bottom line.
3) Meditate at least once per day. This can be walking meditation for one minute, sitting meditation for 30 minutes, or anywhere in between. Just take some time to reflect.
4) Hyper-focus on goals…one at a time. Work hard on completing that goal, and work only on that goal. Once it is complete, move onto the next.
5) Set aside a minimum of one evening to yourself each week. Whether you’re single or married along the way, keep this structure. During this time you can read, write, watch movies, meditate, whatever you want – as long as you’re in solitude.
6) Give to at least one person every single day. Give a gift, give a smile, give your ears & understanding. Give something every day.
Notice I didn’t say “make more money” or “become famous” or “move up in your career” – those things will come if/when they come. Focus on what REALLY matters in this life and everything else will work out.
How about you – What do you think about what I wrote? What do you think you would tell yourself?